Deut. 6:4-7
"Listen, Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is One. Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Marriage Advice (not from me!)

So, a friend of mine has a great blog, where she had some unconventional marriage advice. Someone commented that they were not sure and wondered what others thought. Personally, I think she was dead on! Please head over there and see what you think.

As for me, the best thing for my marriage was when we took a class at church in 2004(ish) where we read the book His Needs, Her Needs and used the workbook that goes with it. Now, let me tell you off the bat, my marriage is pretty good, we don't fight too much (hubby mostly won't fight with me, even when I try!), and we get along pretty well. But, what I saw in this book, that it wasn't about me! Ha, who'da thought?! I don't know if we would have ever had major problem over this concept (for both him and I), but maybe little things here and there might have been simply harder without this knowledge. And even though my marriage is great at times, we have to work at it being great. I highly recommend getting this and reading it together.

Dana's ideas are all A+ ideas in my book. My favorite is naturally #5! Not because I don't sometimes struggle with this, when my head hits the pillow at night, all I really wanna do is sleep! But, yes.. sex does cover a multitude of sins.. And ladies, don't we want to be the ones to put that spring in his step?

So, what do you think, what should we do to make our men happy?

3 comments:

Dana said...

Thanks for the shout out :). We did the "His Needs Her Needs" class our first year of marriage. So I'm like you. I'm not sure what kind of trouble that we might have avoided because of that.. But I do know that there have been many times that I've gone back to the analogy of "the love bank".

And I think it did take some adjusting when we had kids.. Not really even the making time for each other. But I think there are so many more pressures put on us and that we put on ourselves when we become mothers. I had to stop myself because I had gotten to the point where when I had company I was thinking, okay, I need my house to look pretty clean or I'm neglecting my duties. But, not too clean or I'm neglecting my children. Geez.. I just had to somehow refocus and say, it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks makes me a good wife and mother.. And really, I'm still working on it.. But I do love that there is this whole internet subculture that is more of the mind of just supporting each other. Wow, what a novel idea! So, let me just say, thank you for your support :)

Hyperactive Lu said...

All I can say is that I wish I had known "all these things" when I first got married instead of in year 6 or 7 in our 8 yr marriage! HA! They are all things my mother TRIED to tell me but that I failed to listen to!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.